Saturday 3 September 2011

TAKING A BIG BITE OUT OF THE BIG BAGEL


Noo Yoik, August, 2011. To visit my nephew Joel and his heavy-with-child Mrs.  I really had no idea just what a joy the Tribeca part of town could be. Owing much to Joel, who proudly gave me the 25cent tour, I quickly realised that I could move there in a heartbeat. Located at the very beginning of the southern end of The Avenue of the Americas, the area still needs to get over itself a bit, but with just a little breaking down of barriers (shyness is definitely not one of my qualities!), the locals quickly warm to the British who seem to be here in much larger numbers than one would imagine. The exterior fire escape ladders on the frankly, pretty drab exteriors belie the terrific interiors, with any number of stores catering for the rich and spoiled. Some famous high street stores are so cool, they don’t even have a name on the outside; you are expected to know who and where they are!

As most of the locals seldom eat at home – that is – actually cook at home, the neighbourhood boasts all kinds of eateries. The weather being balmy, we ate outside most nights, with only the occasional inside meal. Notable was Odeon which seems to have got the French thing – with New York twists just right.  Staff everywhere were highly entertaining and I think I am now betrothed to the Maitresse D’ at this establishment...
Pssst! Wanna buy my Rolex?

The day after arriving I realised that my trusty Canon Ixus was playing up. Videos that I had recently recorded, were sadly lost as the memory card showed a "LOCKED" message. I thought that this was because I had slipped the little tab on the SD card, but no, they were irretrievably lost. Too bad. I shall have to re-shoot some scenes again!

This caused me to visit a remarkable store in mid town called B&H Cameras. This enormous establishment is entirely run by Hassidim who are a pure delight to deal with. all patience and totally genned-up. I am now the owner of a  spanking new red camera with four times the recording capacity, true HD imagery and stereo sound to boot. I love it. Joel was so impressed he bought one too!

Armed with said photographic gear, I took a side trip to University town Princeton in Noo Joizy. Ninety minutes by train from Penn Station, this is a charming little all-American place, which, while out-of-term quiet, still threw up a few delights. Not least of which, on the main thoroughfare Nassau Street, a  jewellery store in a mock-Tudor style.

Don't mock the Tudors - they drive on the wrong side of the road!

A record emporium tucked away behind there was a salutary example of how not to run such an establishment. Surly staff and ambitiously priced tatty stock. My disappointment was assuaged by me tagging on to a Japanese tour group going around Princeton’s remarkably striking and lookalike appearance of Cambridge type campus.


                                                I'd only just finished mowing for three weeks, when I had to start all over again

I discovered a local ice cream parlOr featuring 99 flavOrs (what’s with not including the “u” in their spelling?) and cooled down under a shady tree in the warm afternoon, and a perky young lady I sat next to offered to show me around the local museum. How could I refuse?

One of the reasons I always carry my camera with me is to capture those once-only type of pictures. We were on our way to a pizzeria one evening, when I spotted this fabulous sunset scene.
There are 10 million stories in the Naked City - this is one of them


I ducked out of New York just before Hurricane Irene “struck”. In the event it had been downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it reached the City, but I wasn’t taking any chances.
Next time, I may continue this American theme, by talking about Memphis (or MEMPHS as the locals seem to call it).

A HUGE thank you again to Joel and Lynsey for making this such a special trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment